The Western Front Association rembers soldiers who served and died, from the Allies and Central Powers, during the First World War.


There will usually be a picture, though not always. There is a short personal biography: when and where they were born and what they did before the war, followed by their enlistment, training, and service.


All WW1 forces, all sides, on all fronts, east to west remembered as individual soldiers, nurses, labourers and others on the home front, their lives, service, their loss, burial and commemoration. 


Some can be more detailed than others. Included will be their final action or cause of death and their final resting place. 


Research by David O'Mara.


Readers are invited to add their comments and to submit ideas for people to feature.

 10 August 1915 Lt-Col Arthur Bauchop
 Lt-Col Arthur Bachop


Lt-Col Arthur Bachop, Otago Mounted Rifles

As part of the campaign in Gallipoli, the British and Commonwealth forces were to launch an attack on 7 August. The plan was for Australian troops to make a frontal assault at Lone Pine and for the British to land at Suvla. The main thrust, however, was to be by New Zealanders who were to capture Chunuk Bair. To do this, they had to advance up tortuous county undetected.

The approach to the Chunuk Bair was along Rhododendron Spur. The Turks had outposts along the spur at the Table Top, Destroyer Hill and at Old No 3 Outpost. There was also an outpost on Bauchop's Hill to the north. All these outposts had to be cleared by the New Zealanders before the attack on Chunuk Bair itself. The Auckland Regiment cleared Old No 3 Outpost whilst the Wellington Regiment took Destroyer Hill and the Table Top.

The Otago and Canterbury Regiments captured Bauchop's Hill, which was named after the Otago regiment's commander, Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Bauchop who was killed during the attack.

Arthur Bauchop was the son of Robert and Maria Bauchop, of Port Chalmers, Dunedin and husband of Mary Jane Elder Bauchop (whom he married in 1912) of Havelock North, Hawke's Bay. He received gunshot wounds to the spine on 7 August 1915 and was evacuated to a hospital ship, the Delta. He died three days later on 10 August and was buried at sea from HMHS Delta. He is commemorated on the Lone Pine Memorial at Anzac.

Although the outposts were cleared successfully, (the New Zealanders losing about 100 men in the process) delays caused the plan to run behind schedule, which was to prove disastrous for the attack on Chunuk Bair.

10 August 1915 killed in action

Image courtesy: Auckland War Memorial Museum

Research by David Tattersfield, WFA Development Trustee

 Photograph of Cpl Alexander Burton VC
Cpl Alexander Stewart Burton


Corporal Alexander Stewart Burton


Alexander was born on 20 January 1893 in Kyneton, Victoria in Australia. He become an ironmonger.

On enlisting he joined the 7th Battalion Australian Imperial Force.

His death came about during an attack on Lone Pine, Gallipoli.

Following a counter-attack on the centre of a newly captured trench held by Corporal Burton and Corporal Dunstan and a few men, despite the attack the men repulsed tha Turks and rebuilt the barricade. Another two times the enemy blew the barricade, and twice more Corporals Burton and Dunstan repulsed them and rebuilt it. 

Cpl. Burton has no known grave. His name is commemorated on the Lone Pine Memorial at Gallipoli. 

An oak tree, and a bridge at Euroa, Victoria, are dedicated to his memory.





The Foreign & Commonwealth Commission. Material used free of copyright based on Creative Commission Copyright.




234602 AB Charles George McConachy, Royal Navy

Charles McConachy was born in Belfast on 11th July 1889.

On 3rd August 1905, while a student of Ballymena Academy, he enlisted into the Royal Navy (Boy service).

On 11th July 1907 his adult service began. He signed up for 12 years service.

After serving on several vessels (on land and sea), on 9th April 1914, he transferred to the HMS Amphion of the 3rd Destroyer Flotilla (Harwich Force).

On the morning of 6th August 1914, the Amphion struck a mine laid by the SMS Königin Luise and sunk, killing about 150 British sailors and marines (the first British combat fatalities of the war)

About 18 German prisoners who were on board. McConachy was amongst these casualties.

He has  ‘no grave but the sea.'

Charles George McConachy is commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial.

(See also the ROTD entry for 6th August 2014 for a more complete story of the Amphion sinking)

6 August 1914 died at sea

 HMS Amphion


Research by David O'Mara

 Photograph of Lieutenant Robert Combe killed in action 3 August 1917 VC recipient
 Lieut. Robert Combe. Image from National Defence Canada


Born in Aberdeen on 5 August 1880, Robert Combe left for Canada age 26 in 1906. A pharmacist in Saskatchewan, in April 1915 he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

Although Combe qualified as a Major he asked to revert to the rank of Lieutenant so that he could transfer to a combat role.

On 3 August 1917 in Acheville, he led his company through heavy fire, secured their objective and took 80 prisoners.

His grave was lost when the cemetery was overrun during subsequent fighting. His name is inscribed on the Canadian National Vimy Memorial.

A lake in Northern Saskatchewan was named in his honour.


Notes prepared from UK Government information on 'Overseas recipients of the VC' and available for re-use through Creative Commons licensing.




GOV.UK. Lieut. Robert Combe. (accessed 5 August 2016)

 Black and White photograph of Alfred Gaby VC killed in action 8 August 1918
 LieutAlfred Edward Gaby




Alfred was born on 25 January 1892 in Springfield, Tasmania. 

He was a labourer and farmer before joing the Australian Imperial Force receiving a commission in 1917.

On 8 August 1918 the 28th Battalion attacked an enemy trench east of Villers-Bretonneux during the Battle of Amiens. Initially stopped by wire 40 yards short of the German trench Lieut. Gaby found a gap in the wire, and single handed approached the machine gun in the strong point that was holding back the attack.

Running along the parapet, at point blank, he drove the German crews from their guns and compelled the surrender of 50. He then organised his men and attacked the next objective.

While encouraging his men to press on he was shot by a sniper.

Lieut. Gaby was buried at Heath Cemetery, Harbonniers.






Foreign & Commonweatlh Office of the UK Gov. Notes reproduced from conetnt made freely available to share through Creative Commons. 






5 August 1916 Lt George Sainton Kaye Butterworth MCLt George Sainton Kaye Butterworth MC, 13th Bn Durham Light Infantry.

Born in London on 12 July 1885, George - who was to become one of England's most distinctive composers - was educated at Eton and Oxford before becoming, for a short while, a music critic for The Times newspaper. This was followed by employment as a music teacher and enrolment in the Royal College of Music. A founder of the English Folk Dance Society in 1911, he enlisted upon the outbreak of war into the 13th DLI and was promoted to Lieutenant on 13 February 1915. During his frontline service, George was three times recommended for the Military Cross and awarded it twice, the second award being for events that took place on the morning of his death. He was killed by a gun shot to the head at Pozieres on 5 August 1916 and buried near to where he fell, but his body was later lost. George is, therefore commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing.

5 August 1916

Research by David O'Mara

Back to top