Article from Stand To! Number 25, 1989
At the end of the war, the BEF required food each day for 3 million personnel and half a million animals. These supplies included 67,500,000 lbs of meat, 90,000,000 lbs of breadstuffs and 32,250,000 lbs of forage per month. The Supply Service was the responsi-bility of the Army Service Corps which later became the Royal Army Service Corps in recognition of its wartime work.
The quay and a storehouse at Calais in March 1917, site of one of the BEF's bases. (Photo: IWM Q 4,809)
As required, supplies were loaded there onto trains. and forwarded, sometimes via advanced supply depots and regulating stations, to the appropriate railhead. There they were transferred to the lorries of the divisional supply column (originally Lines of Communication troops but later transferred to Corps control) which took them to the divisional refilling station. Horse transport of the divisional train then took over and delivered them to brigade dumps. (Photo: IWMQ 4,813) photo N25-2-1989_th
Unit horse transport then conveyed the supplies to the battalion where the Quartermaster and his staff divided them into sub-unit allocations. (Photo: IWM Q 4,829)
(Photo: IWM Q 4,047).